The Provincial Assembly Punjab is located in Lahore. It is a single legislative chamber of elected members of Punjab province. Under the Article 106 of the Constitution of Pakistan, this assembly was established and it has 371 seats with eight reserved seats for non-Muslims and 66 reserved seats for women. This assembly chamber is situated on the Shahra-e-Quaid-e-Azam is double story building that is spread on 16 acres and has residential hostels and expensive lawns. The building of Punjab Assembly was completed in 1935 for the Punjab province, India. After the independence of Pakistan, Punjab was divided and this chamber became the part of Pakistani Punjab.
The chief architect of the Architecture Circle of Punjab named Bazel M. Salune designed the building of assembly chamber and Sir Jogindar Singh laid the stone of it foundation in 1935 during British Raj. The combination of Indian and Roman architecture can be seen in the first floor houses the Assembly Hall. Today it can accommodate the 371 members but initially it was designed for the small number of members. For the visitors to see the proceeding of Assembly there is a seating arrangement of 200 people. Today the gallery of the visitors can accommodate a large number of people as reporters of radio and TV press.
There is a speaker’s chamber, the Chief Minister’s chamber, the Cabinet Room, the Deputy Speaker’s office Assembly Secretariat office and the two committee rooms are on the first floor of the building. Reception, library, cafeteria, dispensary, a prayer room, one committee room and the Assembly Secretariat office is on the ground floor.
Pipal’s House was built in 1950 and it is the members’ first residential hostel. It contains forty units and is located near the Punjab Civil Secretariat. There is a large bedroom setting, a bathroom and a dressing room. Kitchen and veranda are also constructed in some units and there as a passage, a large corridor in front of all rooms.
To provide the additional housing to the Assembly Members a project was formed in 1988. The Chief Minister of Punjab appointed Nayyer Ali Dadda a renowned architect as a consultant who was responsible for the project. For the western lawn of Assembly building, construction was planned that was composed of blocks A and B. A semicircular building was designed for Block A and a rectangular building was designed as Block B. The units and the suites in the building contains one bedroom, attach bathroom and a kitchen.