The Noor Mahal located in (Bahawalpur Punjab, Pakistan), was constructed in 1872. It belonged to the Nawab of Bahawalpur (the emperor of the state) during British rule.
Noor Mahal is one of the memorials in Pakistan, a castle constructed in Italian style, the property of ruler Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan IV, Nawab (emperor) of Bahawalpur State. It is amongst the most superb buildings of Pakistan and was specifically planned as a residence for the wife of Nawab. However, she never resided for a single day in Noor Mahal because on the first night of her stay there, she found a graveyard adjacent to Noor Mahal and refused to live there.
The construction was started by Nawab Sadiq in 1872. For good sign, a chart and coins were buried under its base. Material in the construction of castle is mostly imported from central Europe. Noor Mahal’s construction was completed in 1875 at a cost of 1.19 million rupees. Noor Mahal covers a locality of 44,600 square feet (4,140 m2). The design incorporates characteristics of Corinthian and Islamic methods of architecture with a touch of sub continental style. The Corinthian feel is visible in the pillars, balustrade, pediments and the arched ceiling of Darbar hall. The Islamic style is evident in the five domes, while the angular egg-shaped arrangements are a stroke of subcontinent method. Nawab Muhammad Behawal Khan the fifth, added a mosque to the castle in 1906 at the cost of Rs. 20,000.
The palace was supervised by Henan a British architecture, this place was familiar as visitor accommodation for royal families. Cabinet meetings were furthermore coordinated here by Nawab and the prominent visitors were allowed for visit. For some time in Nawab’s reign, the castle was utilized as state court where Nawab utilized to address the courtiers. This attractive fortress was constructed in the midst of an attractive flowerbed having a fountain and water container. Dignified carpets are covering its verandahs and Noor Mahal partitions are decorated with attractive paintings and ornaments most of which are made by western artists.
In the year 1956, when Bahawalpur State merged into state of Pakistan, the construction was taken over by the department of Auqaf. The palace was leased to the armed detachment in 1971. In 1997, the army bought it for the totaling of 119 million.
The construction was announced a “protected memorial” in the year September 2001 by the Government of Pakistan’s Department of Archeology, and it is now open for general visitors, scholars trips and other involved persons.
It is a two story castle having superb furniture and tremendous fixtures like closets and chandeliers. It is rich with attractive assemblage of arms. Few of the muskets and swords were brandished on walls. An attractive mosque precisely like the Atchison College was furthermore added. In 1999 this castle was utilized as an army association and is still in army’s ownership.
A park and a museum appealing millions of tourists each year. School, colleges and university journeys are arranged to this chronicled palace every year