In Peshawar, in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan is a well-known institute located known as Islamia College Peshawar. In 1909, when the new province Khyber Pakhtunkhwa came into existence there was only one college left behind in the province which was Edwards College due to which the local youth use to travel to the faraway regions to acquire quality education and this lack of educational opportunities motivated Sir George Roos-Kepple and Nawab Sir Sahibzada Abdul Qayyum to commence such an institute that would not only accommodate the academic needs of the province but will surely produce leaders from it.
On October 1913, the institute was founded by district leader Nawab Sir Sahibzada Abdul Qayyum. Then afterwards Sir George Roos-Kepple the Chief Commissioner of the province made his contribution to provide quality education to the district youth. Nawab Sir Sahibzada Abdul Qayyum and Sir George Roos-Kepple put the initiative of the college in 1909 and this idea became more stronger after their visit to Aligarh Muslim University in the same year, when they asked the students from N.W.F.P about the problems faced by them and the solution they want by them, the students told him to build hostel for their convenience and in answer to that Nawab Shah informed that instead of building hotels in Aligarh they will make possible the educational facility in Peshawar.
Soon after that a meeting was held by Nawab Shah on 12th April 1911 at the residence of Abdul Karim, which was attended by many leading personalities within Peshawar and then people donated for the welfare of this project. Khan Bahadur Mian Rahim Shah Kaka Khel contributed heavily during the meeting and promised to construct a hostel beside this donation, which he did and it still exists in the campus named as “Rahim Shah Ward”. On request of Syed Abdul Jabbar Shah, Nawab of Amb and Nawab Muhammad Khan Zaman Khan donated a huge amount for the cause.
Afterward, an outsized plot was purchased to construct the building of the college from Khalils of Tehkal. The most renowned Pakhtun British leader Haji Sahib of Turangzai was asked to lay the foundation stone of Islamia College by Nawab Sir Sahibzada Abdul Qayyum and then Haji Sahib agreed to the request. Though, he was declared as a proclaimed lawbreaker by the British owing to his anti-British activities and was banned by the Britishers. Despite this British agreed on the request of Nawab. Haji Sahib was led by Sheikh Muhammad Ibrahim to the place where he laid the foundation stone and soon after that he went back to Tehkal and returned to the tribal territory as per according to the agreement.
In year 1912, the construction work of the college was started which end up remarkably. A Dar-ul-Uloom, a high school and three hostels, an Art college, a mosque and residence for head master and principal were the part of construction program. In 1913 the high school consisting 26 rooms and one school hostel was constructed and rest of the building was completed before 1st of October. The first Dean of Islamia College Peshawar was Mulana Qutab Shah. On 1st October 1913 the college was opened for the admissions. The college educates the students in Humanities, arts and modern sciences. University of Peshawar was established as a subsidiary of Islamia College Peshawar, which was later, associated to the university as a constituent college in 1950.
A status of chartered university was rewarded to the college in 2008 and its first Vice Chancellor was Mr. Muhammad Ajmal Khan. The first principal of the college was Mr. L. Tipping and the Vice Chancellor as well as the professor of mathematics was Allama Mashriqi. The Dean of Theology was Mulana Qutb Shah.
Nawab Sahib was very meticulous about the physical appearance of the college and besides this he was very particular about the academic standard of the college. Highly professional staff was hired to maintain the standards. But unfortunately the founder of the college Nawab Shah died in 1937, after his demise the college was left over in others hands. After that the college survived many ups and downs until it got the status of Islamia College Peshawar as University.
The BS integrated program was commenced by Professor Dr Naeem Khalid in the province and he started it first in Islamia College. Dr Naeem was the Director of Academics and the Admission of the University and was very much regarded by the staff of the college. Ajmal Khan the Vice Chancellor appointed him as Director APARO. He got his PHD in Physics from Cambridge University UK. Another member of the college is Ghayur Khan, he is a faculty member in Management Sciences Department and he is qualified from University of Bedfordshire UK. The college has indeed progressed in all stages of education and has provided best quality learning to its students.