In Pakistan Cadet College Hasan Abdal is documented as the first Cadet College. It is situated in Hasan Abdal, Attock District, Punjab, Pakistan. The cadet College was initiated by the government of Punjab at the proposal of General Muhammad Ayub Khan, who was the Commander-in-chief of the Pakistan Army, initially to provide a feeder institute to the Service Academies. To sustain its mission they started Military wings in 1952 in Government College, Sahiwal and Islamia College, Peshawar. After the building was completed the Military Wings were transferred to Hasan Abdal.
In April, 1954 the Cadet College commenced its operation as Punjab Cadet College. Boards of Governors were constituted by the government to implement administrative control over the college in 1960. The founder Principal of the College was Hugh Catchpole. The college plays an important role in preparing the boys for the examination of secondary school and intermediate that is carried out by Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education Rawalpindi even the General Certificate of Education “O Levels” from Cambridge University, United Kingdom and General Certificate of Education “A Level” from Cambridge University. The cadets of the College perform extremely well in each examination of the local board and achieve distinctions in the University of London examinations.
The college is sub-divided into six wings which are represented through different colors. Jinnah, Haider, Iqbal, Omar, Liaqat and Aurengzeb are the names of the wings. The students of the college are known as cadets. There are different sports activities organized by the college that includes football, volleyball, basket ball, field hockey, swimming, squash, horse riding and tennis and to enhance the fitness of a cadet they have structured some fitness activities which includes jogging, running and gymnastic. In the morning cadets perform some Physical training exercises and do sports in the evening.
The hard-hitting schedule ensures physical upsurge as well as academic brilliance. The area of the college is extended up to 98 acres. Within the building there is a mosque, a double storied Education Block, College hall which is named as Neelam Hall in the reminiscence of ex-cadet Captain. Naeem Akhtar. There are six hostels called wings, two cadet masses identified as Hussain Shah Hall and Khatlani Hall in the memory of respective ex-cadet Lt. Ahmed Farooq Khatlani and ex-cadet Lt. Hussain Shah (Shaheed). More over the college encompasses a swimming pool, a 16 bed hospital, the Administrative block, Hobbies block and aWorkshop. It also has a residential accommodation for the teaching and administrative staff.