Dating back to the 1st century BC an ancient city lies within the region of Sindh, Pakistan that is known as Banbhore or Bhambore. The remains of the city lie on the N-5 National Highway to the east of Karachi. It dates back to the era of Scytho-Parthian, which was later on controlled by Muslims from 8th to 13th century and after that it was discarded. Some vestiges of previous known mosques are still preserved in the city that dates back to 727 AD. Department of Archaeology and Museums Pakistan were presented to the site for UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE in year 2004.
On the northern bank of Gharo creek Banbhore is located, it is about 65 km east of Karachi in the Thatta Highway which lies between Gharo and Dhabeji.
Its history dates back to 1st century BC to the 13th century AD. Remnants records of three distinct periods’ have been revealed by the Archeologists on the site that includes the remnant record of Scytho-Parthian, Hindu Buddhist and early Islamic period. Due to the change in the course of the Indus the city was gradually changed into a desert after 13th century. But according to the view point of some historians Banbhore was basically a historical city of Debal, which was conquered by the Arab general Muhammad Bin Qasim in 711-712, after overpowering Raja Dahir, who was the last Hindu ruler of Sindh. However, this history predicted by some Archeologists is not that authentic. In 1928, Ramesh Raja Majumdar introduced excavation in this area and later it was done by Leslie Alock in 1951. Numerous studies and excavations have been conducted by the famous Pakistani archeologists Dr. F. A. Khan from 1958 to 1965. The first International Conference on Banbhore was organized on March 2012 by the Cultural Department of Government of Sindh, where researches related to the site were represented by different Experts and archeologists.
According to the result of some archeological findings the city was consisted of an enclosed area which was surrounded by a mud wall and stone. There was a stone wall built in the centre which divides the refuge into eastern and western sections, within the eastern part there lies the remaining of a mosque with a caption that dates back to 727 AD, sixteen years after the invasion of Sindh, the mosques projects the best preserved example of the earliest mosques in the area.
Banbhore was a medieval port city that draws its means by importing metal and ceramic goods, an industrial sector and trade. It was advantageously positioned at the opening of the Indus, which links it with rest of the Scytho-Parthian Empire and international traders in the Indian Ocean.
In January 2004, the port was presented for orientation in World Heritage Sites by the Department of Archeology and Museums of Pakistan.